Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Born Lippy



This post is a meager attempt to a lipstick review. A first among many things I can possibly write in here. Consider yourself warned.



I can never label myself as a tomboy or a girly girl. I think I am at the brink of both, depending on where I am, who I am with, and what I am doing. But for someone who is a self-confessed low maintenance person who can get away with just a gentle dab of powder and a lip balm, having too many lipsticks is quite a big deal that it can be overwhelming. Thanks to my sister (who thinks that my lack of ability to wear, let alone put make up) who sends me tons of stuff from the US (as if a plea for me to start learning how to fix my face, my appearance in general), I think I may have just been a change woman.

Since today I am bored to my wits and this blog is in dire need of some posts, I finally convinced myself to write about my favorite things and in this in particular post, my favorite lipsticks.

Favorite Lipsticks to date
 (in no particular order or level of importance)
Bottom to Top: Swatches of MAC Pink Nouveau, Revlon Pink in Afternoon, MAC Viva Glam Nicki, MAC Chatterbox,
 MAC Crosswires, Clinique Tenderheart, Revlon Volcanic Red (R - Without Lighting, L - With Lighting)



 R-L: MAC Pink Nouveau, MAC Viva Glam Nicki,
& MAC Chatterbox
1. MAC Pink Nouveau

         When girls started wearing Pinks I couldn’t care less about my most favorite Red lipstick (see last entry). There’s even this one time I was in the mall and every girl within reach is wearing one. It is madness, like Comic Con where everybody else decided to show up made up as Barbie! I never like conforming and I never fall prey to the trend so it is not until two months ago that I told myself I need that Barbie shade and the rest is history. This shade goes well with black or dark clothes and even dark make up. It’s my go-to-concert lipstick! It goes well in plain or with a gloss, too.

2. Revlon Pink in Afternoon
                Nude or Pale Lips doesn’t suit me because of my pale complexion. But this pale pink shade won me over that I don’t care if I end looking like the patient instead of the nurse. It’s too pretty a pink I fell in love with it right away. It goes well with the smokey eye look that I have yet to master. And yes, it’s not too costly compared to MAC lippies. With Revlon, you can never go wrong!

3. MAC Viva Glam Nicki
                Just for the record, I am not a fan and the only Nicki Minaj song I know is ‘Super Bass’. Haha! But my sister insisted on me getting this one alongside the Nouveau. It’s perkier than the average bright pink lipstick and I don’t usually use it or if I felt like using it I have to blend it with other shades. Not a bad shade though. If ever there’s going to be Viva Glam Katy, I’m getting them all.

R-L: MAC Crosswires, Clinique Tenderheart,
Revlon Pink in Afternoon
4. MAC Chatterbox
                The safest and most neutral shade of Pink I have used is Chatterbox which I heard, is a favorite of the many as well. It goes well with almost anything I wear or any place I go. I don’t feel too perky wearing it nor do I need to worry about people who might think I am histrionic for wearing a lively color.

5. MAC Crosswires
                This is the most worn-out MAC lipstick I own. I don’t really know how to explain my affinity with this lipstick. But it’s like Red meets Pink in a right kind of way. This is my go-to-work color. It’s safe, lively, and more often than not, reassuring.

6. Clinique Tenderheart
                Not much of a brown or earth shades fan because it does not suit me well considering my complexion. But this is still preferred and I wear it everytime I wear corporate or formal clothes and whenever I find a need to be taken seriously. Because I greatly think that the person you are talking to or meeting with judges you too based on your lipstick.

Revlon Volcanic Red
7. Revlon Volcanic Red
                I adore this and this is, and will always be, on top of my list. I discovered this shade from my mom’s stash a long time ago and this is probably the well-stocked shade in her dresser. I borrowed it one time and I never returned it anymore because I just love it. I never knew I’d like what I look like with red lips. This is my second supply in just a year (look at how overused it is) – that’s how often I use it! I know nurses are supposed to look demure and gentle but during benign days in the hospital, I wear this to pull the Kate Beckinsale look from my favorite movie, Pearl Harbor. I wore this shade during my college clinical graduation, too. This goes well with white clothes, especially that crisp white shirt and big Jackie O sunnies. Again, with Revlon, you can never go wrong. P.S. I am wearing it as I write this.


Love me some
Revlon Volcanic Red 
I may discover more shades in the near future as I still have tons to open but it is a safe bet that these seven shades are here to stay in the comfort of my dresser. And yes, I just had to rationalize and quip this: I may not be born leggy (standing just 5’4” tall) but I am definitely born lippy!



What about you? 
What are your favorites? 
Is yours on my list, too? 
What will you recommend me to try?
 Lemme know!

-N





2 comments:

  1. nin it's you na :))

    andami mo palang mac ♥ inggit ako te!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janelle! Konti lang. I need more. Haha! Next time I have supplies, I'll let you know.

      Delete