Friday, September 21, 2012

Applying and Taking the NCLEX: New York Dreams

UPDATE: I took my NCLEX-RN just this Wednesday, October 16, 2013, 9:00 am Philippine Standard Time, at Pearson Professional Center, Trident Tower Makati, Metro Manila. I tried the Pearson Vue Trick about 3 hours later, got a good pop up, and last night, October 18, I found out through my unofficial quick results posted on my Pearson Vue account that I passed! I will create a separate post to share my NCLEX-RN experience soon! :)


For a much updated post about the how-to apply, visit the link below:
http://hernameisninanicole.blogspot.com/2013/06/filipino-nurse-diy-application-for.html



NCLEX: State of New York



I have come across many friends and acquaintances who asked me for help and questions about how I processed my application to be a licensed nurse in the USA. To tell you honestly, I am just as clueless as they are when I was first starting last July. I think I am blessed enough to have friends who helped me figure it all out because, as many of you have known, it isn’t a walk in the park. And boy, it isn’t cheap either.

When I passed my local boards which I took last July 2011, I originally wanted to take the NCLEX right away. I, however, opted to postpone the application due to other priorities and taking into consideration the fact that there are no job offers to Filipino Nurses like myself in the US and that I am in need of at least a year clinical or hospital experience (which isn’t easy to get at this time) in order to be considered. My original plan was to apply to the State of Vermont. Why Vermont you ask? If my sources are correct, the State of Vermont is one of the states which process applications faster, that in just a span of four months you can already take the test. Since I put my thought of applying on hold, the State of Vermont changed some of its requirements and is now requiring its applicants to have a valid US Social Security Number which I do not have since I am not an Immigrant to the US. So major change of plans and back to zero all over again. Another option was to apply in the State of California since my family is there, however the California Board of Nursing has modified provisions and has gotten stricter, not to mention they, too, require a valid SSN. So no luck there. The State of Arizona, where my sister is at the moment, is out of the picture as well since they require SSN, too.

So if you are getting the drift, my whole idea where to apply is dependent on the idea of which state does not require SSN. Why? Because you cannot work in the US without a valid SSN. I am not sure what other states does not require SSN but I have been told by a friend that the State of New York doesn’t. Since New York is a pretty good place to practice, regardless of the high cost of living, I am determined to try. From there I started building my New York dreams.

I have compiled the series of steps to take in applying for licensure in the State of New York. If this is the State you wish to get licensed at, continue reading. If not, then decide first where then start from there.

Step 1: Decide which US State you wish to get licensed at: State of New York

Step 2: Take the 1st 2 NY Mandated Courses Online 


Register and pay and take the coursework in the allotted time.
§  Identification and Reporting of Child Abuse in NYS - 3.25 hrs - $ 20
§  New York State Mandated Infection Control Training - 4 hrs - $ 25

The results will be mailed directly to NYSED. I, however, haven’t taken this yet since I am busy. But once CGFNS is on its way, it is important that I have already passed this so the results will be sent to NYSED.

Step 3.1: Accomplish and mail the Credential Verification Service (via CGFNS) Forms

Since I am a foreign graduate, the New York State requires my credentials to be verified and authenticated by CGFNS. Applying online costs $390 and via mail is a little bit more.


Download the Application Forms and brochures at http://cgfns.org/sections/programs/cvs
Everything you need to know about CGFNS is there. You can either apply online or via mail, again, the difference is there. I applied online because it is cheaper and faster. Mind you though that CVS takes about 4 to 12 months to be processed. And they will only give you a year to have everything sent and accomplished or your application will be voided and you need to apply and pay again.

Mail the duly accomplished Application Forms to: PO Box 8628, Philadelphia, PA 19101- 8628. I mailed my accomplished forms through DHL in front of the PRC. You will probably get confused (like I did) why the address the courier will send it to is to a different address or office but under CGFNS as well. I was told that they do not send documents or parcels to PO boxes because no one will sign for it. I asked the manong there so many questions and in the end he got irritated to me and told me he has been dealing with this for years and not one document got lost or not received. So I trusted him and mailed and it was received by CGFNS. Check the status on your account online. Mailing via DHL costs Php 1400 and that is for three days.

CGFNS will contact your school and your licensing body which is the Philippine Regulation Commission (PRC) to authenticate your transcript of records and license respectively. This is an office to office transaction. Once your school and PRC receive the documents from CGFNS, they will mail it back to them. This will take a while, almost forever, I have been told, and I just got from my school and PRC to check if they received it already but I was asked to check on it again since  I just applied for CGFNS this early August. Once your school and PRC sent the authenticated documents to PRC, CGFNS will review this and will send a report to NYSED or NY BON. Once NY BON received the issued report from CGFNS that your CVS is completed, you will receive your eligibility to take the exam. 

CGFNS will not notify you that an issued report to NYSED was sent so make sure that you check the status of your application online. If in any case you have not received your eligibility after CGFNS issued a report to NY, you can email them and ask about it at OPUNIT4@MAIL.NYSED.GOV

Step 3.2: Accomplish and mail the NY Application Form

Mail the duly accomplished Application Forms with the application fee to:
New York State Education Department, Office of the Professions, PO Box 22063, Albany,
NY 12201.

I mailed this a day later I mailed my CGFNS documents. You have to accomplish this alongside CGFNS but you can also delay it as NYSED won’t process your application until CVS is completed and an issued report has been sent to NYSED.

The mode of payment (bank draft or money order) can be confusing as well so make sure you read the application form and everything in it. As for me, I paid using a bank draft from PNB. I don’t really know how it works as I had my parents processed it for me. The payment should be made in dollars for $140 and for bank drafts I think you need to have a dollar account in an internationally recognized bank and they will issue a check paid to NYSED. I used the Philippine National Bank (PNB) and they have an office in New York. I heard you can also use Metrobank and Banco de Oro (BDO) as well.

From this on, you have to wait for the issued report of CGFNS to NYSED by checking the status of your order or application on the CGFNS website and the eligibility to take the test from NYSED.

Step 4: Once you received your eligibility, register to take the test

Go to http://www.pearsonvue.com and the test is for about $200.

I have not taken this step yet as I am still on the CGFNS-CVS part. :)
If you have seen that you have an issued report already and you have not received your eligibility yet, you can email NYSED. Wait for the eligibility to take the test before you apply for the actual examination.

Step 5: Wait for your ATT

Once you registered to Pearson Value, wait for a max of 48 hours and you'll receive your ATT. The ATT might be received a little later, like a week or something to some cases.

Step 6: Schedule the test

I have not figure out where I’ll take the test yet.

Step 7: Take and Pass the test!

In God’s will, in a span of 1 year, or hopefully even less, I will already take my NCLEX. But as of now, I am self-reviewing, so by next year, I can start savoring the beginning of my New York dreams. :)




This is pretty much what I know about it. As you can see, I am just trying to figure it all out myself. I am just thankful to my friends (Louie, Kuya JP, Ate Justine, and Red) for helping me out and for patiently answering my sometimes annoying and stupid questions about the application.

Should you have questions, feel free to comment. If you, too, are an applicant who is trying to figure it all out yourself like me, let’s help each other and I would love to hear from you! :)


“Help others get ahead. Remember: 
You will always stand taller with someone else on your shoulder.”

Nin

66 comments:

  1. Hey. Just did it on my own din. Im on step four. Im on the right track!!! ;) question lng.. if we pass, i dont hv ssn too im a fil ctzen.. pano n tau mkkwork?? Hit me up at ainathomas@rocketmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aina. I emailed you regarding your question. Would love to hear from you!

      Delete
    2. heey can I get your email? :( can you help me Im also doing it by myself and I woud just like to know, there is no Licensing authority neither its address (CVS), should I leave it blank? :( What did you do?

      Delete
    3. Hi, if you need sponsor you can email me. info@isaachealthcare.com contact name Dorth

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the information, this really is something. Just so you know I went personally to SS office and applied for E-TIN in California USA last May 2013 but to no avail. So right now I am considering NY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! How was your application? If you have question, I will be delighted to answer some and help you. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Wow this is really helpful! Thanks a lot.. I just have a question though, I've read somewhere that you can't claim your license if you don't have an ssn. Wala din po akong ssn. MPaano po tayo makakawork? For my situation now, I don't have plans to work in the US but I'm planning to take the nclex so I can add more credentials on my CV and just in case I get a job there in the future hehe. Hope you could help!
    kymisnotmanic@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thank you! I'm glad you find this post helpful.

      About your question... It really depends on which state you are planning to apply the NCLEX and get licensed at. There are some states that allow applicants to take the NCLEX-RN even without a valid SSN provided that they acquire one to sustain the license. Others on the other hand allow you to take it and get licensed without any catch thereafter, in short, you take the exam, you pass, you get the license, that's it. As for future plans to work in the US, yes, we need to acquire a valid SSN and the only way to do that is to work there and/or be granted of a visa of any kind and get a job offer. I, too, am taking the NCLEX for additional points for my CV and basically to be a USRN, regardless if I will be working there in the near future or not. Good luck on your NCLEX application / exam and future plans!

      Nin

      Delete
    2. Whoever need sponsor to able to get a job in U. S. Contact: Dorth; email: info@isaachealthcare.com

      Delete
  4. Hello Nin! I love your blog. I, too also is applying for licensure in NY the difference is that I didn't take the NLE here in the PH that's why I don't have a license yet. I would like to ask how did you start studying for the NCLEX? What books are you reading as of now? Can you give me some tips on how you studied for this exam? And when you pass the nclex and also have the USRN title what will you be doing next? :) Hoping for your response :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Thank you! How's your application? Your CGFNS CVS will be faster because they only have to contact your school for authentication. It took mine some time in PRC for obvious reasons.

    I started seriously studying just this June. I haven't taken the exam, I haven't even scheduled it, so I'm taking my sweet time to study so I can assess myself when I can take it. But honestly, it isn't as serious as one should expect. I enrolled myself in a review center because I don't have that much materials and structure. But thing is, it is like self-studying but you are in a confined and comfortable environment with lesser distractions. Though anyone can just study on their own, it depends if you really can study at home, which in my case, I can't because of the distractions (TV, bed, etc). The books I use right now are the books provided by the center, a book where the basics and summary of each of the systems are divided into chapters, a book that contains the topics frequently tested in the NCLEX-RN which is pretty much like the first book, Kaplan 2011-2012 Q&A. I am also planning to buy the Saunder's Comprehensive Review Guide Q&A for when I ran out of questions in my QBank.

    As for the tips, answer as many questions as you can. I answer no more than 250 a day. Read on the topics again to review or refresh your mind. Do not think that what you learned at school or in the practice is correct. Always, always, questions the answer / what to do and rationalize in accordance to the Ivory Tower of Nursing that the NCLEX - RN is after. And do not rush, study at your own pace. Do not force yourself to study when you don't feel like it. Study happily. :)

    When I pass the NCLEX, I don't think I'll be able to leave the country right away to practice in the US. When I pass the NCLEX... I haven't thought much about it yet. I need to study and pass the exam first. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for all of the info! it's very helpful :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi nin! thanks for creating this blog :) this is very helpful to all the NCLEX applicants like me.. same here, i applied in NY and currently waiting for my evaluation. CGFNS just forwarded this week to NY the report for verification of my credentials. I have not completed yet the mandated courses but I am working on it right now. I will do it online. btw, how long did you wait for the result of your evaluation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thank you! I wish there was something like this when I was starting, I would have saved a lot of time, effort, and money! :) I have not completed the mandated courses. I've been told it's okay since I won't be practicing there. I started August 2012. The CVS took 4-5 months, August to late December or early January this year. I received my eligibility from NYSED this March, after a month since my report was issued by CGFNS. I opted for the mail and had it addressed to my sister's US address. Please see latest post for updates. Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Nin! Goodluck to you and all the best! :)

      Delete
  8. and also, how did you receive the result of your evaluation from NY? did they send it by mail or email? thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By mail. I had it addressed to my family's address in the US.

      Delete
  9. hi NIN!! thanks for this blog. so helpful but im a little bit dizzy about the processing. i mean what documents did you send to cgfns? the form for prc and school? thanks :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After you register for the CVS of CGFNS, you will be asked to print some pages, those are the forms you have to mail. I believe that includes the form for authentication of school and PRC, your proof of payment, and then your application form.

      Delete
  10. hi nin! great blog. im currently on my review. as of now pinagiisipan ko pa din what state :). Ang dami nga nagsasabi, NY mas okay.probably im goin to choose NY too. additional info regarding review materials base on my review center, la charity ( delegation and assessment) okay din siya. one of the best review material ng NClex. im now reading Saunders Compre. Maganda ung book. :) Saunders Q and A :)

    hmm, review pa lang talaga ako, di ko pa inaayos yung application ko. hmmm, later na lang,(target ko by January next year) pag medyo okay nako sa review. its like my brain was rusty and stagnant na. hehe :) nabakante kasi for 2yrs.i worked outside the country :)In God will maging USRN tayong lahat.

    one of my friend told me, its not important what state ur goin to choose, our aim is to have the US license.. may point siya, first choice ko kasi ang NEVADA coz my family is living there even my fiance :) kaso need din ng SSN, na wala ako.

    ayun, napakwento lang. hehe :) i liked your blog. :)for my entire life ngayon lang ako nag comment sa mga blogs na nababasa ko.

    ur a good person, u helped a lot of future USRN, like us here on ur blog. Keep it up Nin! God Bless us all :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thank you for the tips! I am currently using Saunders 5th Ed Q&A as well.

      I advise you to process your papers this early because CVS takes time. By the time you are to take the exam you might have forgotten the things you've reviewed that you have to re-do it again, unless of course, you review constantly. I am on my 3rd month of review and I've already forgotten some things I've studied on my 1st months. But continue studying! Let me know if you have questions! Good luck!

      Delete
  11. Hi, thank you for all the information. I find your page really helpful. I'm currently trying to apply for NCLEX in the state of NY as well, however I haven't started doing anything yet. I'm still in the process of gathering information. But I wanted to ask regarding the VisaScreen. I came across these when browsing through the FAQS regarding CVS. Do we still have to undergo VisaScreen as well? And when would be the best time? I've read they only expire after 12 months.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Visa Screen is not a requirement in order to get licensed at any state. It is, however, a requirement in order for a foreign nurse / graduate to get a visa to be employed in the US. I think it would be best to get it after you passed the NCLEX and get your license.

      Delete
  12. hi nin! thank you for your blog! it was very helpful. I am planning on taking nclex but pinned down at the moment because of the technicalities. I would just like to ask, just like the 1st question on the comments section. How would we be able to work in the US if we will not be able to receive our licenses since we haven't got there. Hope u reply on this. tnx!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! New York is one of the few states that allow foreign nurses / nursing graduated to get licensed regardless if you will be working there anytime soon or at all. For the time being at least. The only way to work there is to get sponsorship from an agency which has employment contacts / hospitals in the US. That, too, is my dilemma since there aren't that many employers and if there are, they are after those who already have Priority Dates and a handful of hospital experience.

      Delete
  13. Hi Nin! Your blog is really helpful. Thank you! I've bookmarked this site as my reference ever since I submitted my CVS application last June. :) The status of my CVS now is Ready for Review. I would like to ask if I still need to submit any documents to the NYSED once my CVS is done?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I think I have answered your question on the other post. Sorry for the late reply!

      Delete
  14. hi. thank you finally saw ur blog and i think this will help me alot. i have a quick question do u think i can take nclex here in new york eventhough i don't hold any license back in th PH?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Yes, they do allow that. :)

      Delete
    2. thankyou:) one morething in the application form for Licensure no.23 and no.24 did you submit the form 1CE and Form IC?

      Delete
  15. Hi Nin! Congratulations on passing! Your blog is really helpful. I wonder though if I could ask you few more questions. I hope you can email me at yssa.fernandez@yahoo.com. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello. My apologies for replying too late. Please e-mail me at hernameisninanicole@gmail.com

      Delete
  16. Hi Nin!you have a very helpful blog for us who are also applying for New York RN.My question is did you filled up the form for APPLICATION FOR LIMITED PERMIT?I have already an employer in New York so do I need to fill up these forms and send it to my prospective employer in New York?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. Sorry for the delay in response. I did not accomplish that part because I am not applying for a limited permit but for licensure. I bet that is your goal, too. Everything has to be mailed to NYSED.

      Delete
  17. Hi Nin,I am here asking you again.How about the mode of payment?I have a friend in the US who is willing to help me about the payment.How are we going to do this?Is she going to send a check payable to NYSED to me and I will send it to NYSED?I need your reply Maam so I can apply for the exam as soon as possible coz Im just waiting for my visa screen to be issued and once i have it already hopefully and if in God's will the embassy will issued a visa for me and Im not yet an RN in New York.I dont know that it takes a year for us to process for New York NCLEX.
    Maam please help me..thank you very much...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I am very sorry I am not particular with that kind of mode of payment because I processed mine locally. You can go to BDO / PNB / Metrobank for Bank Draft. They will provide a check paid to NYSED from your name and that you will have to mail with your application form.

      Delete
  18. hi saw your blog and thought that this will help me bigtime, i just wanna know if should i call the NYSED before i start anything, i mean from my registration to my CGFNS. thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. Thank you! That is not necessary so long as you have read and understood what is in the application packet. If you have doubts or questions with the requirements, it is, of course, best to call /e-mail NYSED and CGFNS.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the reply. I started with my CGFNS, i know i'll be waiting for a while though. I want to start with my Child Abuse Training and infection control training course online but I can't register for it requires a SSN, w/c i don't have unfortunately. So how did you register? and what should i do? Before submitting my appli to NYSED i want to finish the online courses, or do you think i can just send my appli now and just take the course later? thanks again. God bless. =)

      Delete
  19. Hello Nin! I got a friend who didn't take the PNE but got to take the Nclex. Is it possible to take the nclex without having a phil license?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. Yes, that is possible. Some even do not declare their Philippine RN License for faster transaction for the CVS in New York State. I am not sure, however, regarding the other states.

      Delete
  20. Hi, I'm a registered Nurse here would like to know if you passed to the Nclex exam in NY are you allowed again to take exam in other state? it confused me..

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! That shouldn't be generally the case because they have reciprocity process. If you hold a license in one state, you can have it endorsed to another state provided that you met the requirements set forth by the other state.

      Delete
  21. Hi Nin.

    I did not understand the step 2 and 3...
    I am from the philippines tho

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. What about it is not clear to you? Let me know. You may e-mail me for faster response.

      Delete
    2. Hi. What about it is not clear to you? Let me know. You may e-mail me for faster response.

      Delete
  22. Hello, I'm really happy that i found your blog. I'm a Jamaican RN now living in Japan, and i'm currently in the process of applying for the NCLEX. Your blog has really helped me, and its making the application process a bit simpler.

    ReplyDelete
  23. with regards to the child abuse traing and infection training,is it necessary to take before applying for nclex? what will i put in the form 1 #23 and 24? please help.. thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can check yes then take it right away or by the time you are going to take the exam. It doesn't matter. The courses are very easy.

      Delete
  24. hello Nin! i just want to ask regarding CGFNS processing, did you call CGFNS often for the update of your application for CVS? or did you just rely on their website for updates? I already sent my application to them last October 2013. Some of my frnds said I should call CGFNS customer service often for faster processing of the papers. Would appreciate your reply.Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi! your blog saved my life hehehe I'm at my wits ends. I'm so stressed out and honestly don't know where to start. Here's my scenario: I'm an american but foreign graduate (philippines) last march 28 and I'm still here... planning to stay a little longer and just take my nclex in makati. Do I still have to do that CGFNS Verification thingy right?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi there. Im quite confused with some stuff regarding the nclex exam application in NY. Just wanna ask, once i get my eligibility, do i have to schedule myself to take the exam right away? Does it have some sort of validity period or expiry date? Please help....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Once you get your eligibility, you can register at Pearson Vue and yes, you are the one to schedule your exam. Your NCLEX examination registration will remain open for one year. Once you get your ATT, it'll be valid for 3 months only. :)

      Delete
  27. Hi ms. Nin. I just wanna verify this info. Will i be issued a license despite the fact that i do not have ssn.? From what i heard, i maybe given the chance to take the exam with or wihout the ssn but i will be needing ssn for the application of license. Thank you very much in advance. I really do hope to hear from you. Thanks again and more power!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the license will be issued to you. My license was issued even though they do not have my SSN in their records.

      Delete
  28. hi! this blog helped me a lot to understand the complicated processes..thanks a lot.anyway i wanna ask about the finger printing thing.which much be sent to FBI..how did you manage to apply for that..pre-requisite din ba yun for you to get your eligibility?
    i haven't started my application coz i wanted to understand every step muna..its so complicated..you're so blessed that you passed the exam na..congrats..ill be waiting for your reply.( i bookmarked this site).God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hello Nin! Congratulations for passing the NCLEX! May I ask you what review center you attended to for NCLEX review? And the books you used for NCLEX review And which books are highly recommended to pass the NCLEX. Your response is highly appreciated Nin! Thank u so much in advance for answering ng question. Godbless Nin!

    ReplyDelete
  30. hello nini it is about the form 1, all I can remember was the month and years when i went to school, is it ok if i leave it blank the dates? thank you and god bless

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Nina

    I find your blog very useful. But since I am planning to take the NCLEX next year, does NY state still require SSN? If yes, do you know how to obtain it? I have no relatives in the US who can help me out or enlighten me and I am completely on my own. Thanks in advance for your response. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ny do not require ssn. other states do. you can only get ssn if you already have an employer or if you are a student, the school may also give you ssn

      Delete
  32. hi ms nina, can i ask what does mean?
    StatusWaiting For Approval (Issued certificate or Issued report) - Waiting for the applicant to meet all the program requirements for the selected service and to be issued either a certificate or report. TIA

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hello! Thanks for all the info. May i ask if after passing the nclex exam, does NY release licenses even if i dont have ssn since i dont have employer yet? Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi!

    I just finished processing my cgfns and status is awaiting documents. My question is do I print all 3 authorizations AND mail them to cgfns? One of them needs to be notarized so if yes, mail to PO Box 8628, Philadelphia, PA 19101- 8628? Also, once I mail those 3 authorizations, do I just wait for status? Will CGFNS contact my school once they receive the one I mailed? I'm so confused. I thought I would be the one contacting my school or PRC to send the documents to CGFNS but I read that CGFNS will contact them. Do I need to do anything after I mail the 3 authorizations is my question. Sorry for sounding a bit confused lol I would love to have you help me out and congratulations by the way! Please if you can email me at gabuleshielamarie@gmail.com I would forever be grateful!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi!

    I just finished processing my cgfns and status is awaiting documents. My question is do I print all 3 authorizations AND mail them to cgfns? One of them needs to be notarized so if yes, mail to PO Box 8628, Philadelphia, PA 19101- 8628? Also, once I mail those 3 authorizations, do I just wait for status? Will CGFNS contact my school once they receive the one I mailed? I'm so confused. I thought I would be the one contacting my school or PRC to send the documents to CGFNS but I read that CGFNS will contact them. Do I need to do anything after I mail the 3 authorizations is my question. Sorry for sounding a bit confused lol I would love to have you help me out and congratulations by the way! Please if you can email me at gabuleshielamarie@gmail.com I would forever be grateful!

    ReplyDelete